Thursday, August 13, 2009

Naneghat

After a long time one more Adventure get away......This time it was a place by the name of Naneghat.

As the name suggests it was a Ghat used long ago.......Nane means Money n this was the route used by the Old traders to cross over to the other side of the mountains......Also At many places along this route there are Huge Utensils carved out of Stone to put in the Sort of toll of those days or may be TAx........N atop the mountain are caves built by the Buddhist monks but later taken by power by the Hindus.
All this information is Courtsey My Dad.

So this place is near the Malshej Ghat after Kalyan on ya way towards Pune...........
So this time we didn't have a pickup from Vashi....we had to travel all the way to Ghatkopar to catch the bus...As usual we were well before time n the bus as always late :( So we had to do TP at Ghatkopar Bus Stop for a good 1 1/2 Hrs........

N finally our ride arrived....The Moment we entered i found a nice spot n wuickly felt asleep....We stopped on our way once for refreshments.....Then Finally we were on the foothills of the Gr8 Pass ( Naneghat)



It was gonna be a Night Trek...( never had done one)so i was excited............We started at arnd 3 AM ......Initially i was keeping pace nicely wit my grp ( Bunty, Rahul, Amy, kritika, gayatri) but as the climb became steeper the distance between me n our grp also widened.........It was a never ending thing....Then after arnd 90 mins of continuous climbing we had a nice rest on a piece of flatland.....tht place was amazing.......That rest was much needed :D Then somehow we managed to reach til the caves at the top..........



N it was 6 30 by the time i reached in the caves.....N it was nice small thing....



But it was dam chilly...PLus we were all wet with all the climbing done...But dint hav energy to even move so i slept lik tht only...Juswore my jacket n took a bed sheet........N had a good one hr sleep...........
The we were served some good hot Poha n Chai.... :D at tht point sab kuch chalta tha, but this was really nice :D
Then we were in for a treat.....The setting was just too much.......Clouds aalll around us, rain, wind......N top of that we had to do Rappelling down Nanacha Angtha ............C for urself......









Then as we reached the top we saw what awaited us....A 1200 Ft Cliff out of which 350 Ft we had to rappel.......Hmmm......I was a bit scared n bit excited......Basically i was scared.....So finally we geared up for the rappelling.........




I went down....The 1st few steps were ok...The rope was coming nicely...But as my weight fell on the rope......it began to slide very easily...I was doin nicely........Then there was a big Speed breaker in between, n i had to go over it....which i did...But then my feet weren't long enough to touch the rock again...N i was there hanging by the thread around 1000 Ft in the air....Then all of a sudden the rope began to slip, i went into a free fall......I was lucky tht the rope was controlled from below.....I forced into 2 free falls.............N finally within secs i was down in the ridge.......n safe......I was the 1st one to Rappelling n Free Fall at the same time.....I was shit scared wen i reached the ridge.....Sat down for sometime there.....But that wasn't it......We had to Harness ourselves to a rope n then cross the ridge.... It wasn't Difficult but at some places we had to remove the hook from one rope n connect it to the other.....I went through the 1st rope properly, But wen we had to disengage the hook n then put it to the other rope, i somehow hooked it to the other rope but the hook got removed from my harness....N i continued my crawling through the ridge....Only to have my heart in my mouth a moment later.....The instructor screamed at me...as he found my hook lying on the rope.....I crawled back n put it again.....If i had slipped from there.....It wud have been a nice free fall for some 900 Ft n good Lunch awaiting me wit the devil.......But I survived to tell the tale..........But seriously in less than a few mins i had my balls in my mouth.......
But then it was over.....I reached the cave safely.....we had nice hot lunch there............N then we were off to Mumbai........

2 comments:

  1. Looks very interesting...
    N surprising to see, u completed it with that beer belly :P :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm....it was really interestin.....N talkin of the Beer belly.....There isn't much beer in it nowadays :P

    ReplyDelete